Millstadt C. C. School District No. 160 was formed in 1948 with the consolidation of the Village of Millstadt School and four area rural schools to form a larger district. The consolidation of rural districts continued throughout the 1950’s. The last change in District 160 boundaries occurred in 1965. Geographically, Millstadt C. C. School District No. 160 is over half the square mileage of the Belleville Township High School District. Our District is largely rural with moderate growth in its enrollment.
The trend to consolidate was a part of a nation wide trend to form school districts capable of offering more comprehensive programs and services. The district is an elementary school district, which means that it educates students from preschool to 8th grade.
The District is formed from parts of three townships, Millstadt, Stookey and Smithton. Within its boundaries are all parts of the Village of Millstadt, a small area of the City of Belleville, and growing subdivisions in unincorporated St. Clair County. A fleet of District owned buses transport students throughout the District. The District is governed by seven-member elected Board of Education. Board members receive no monetary compensation for their service.
Millstadt Community Consolidated School District No. 160 operates two attendance centers: Millstadt Consolidated School educates students in grades three through eight and the newly constructed Millstadt Primary Center educates students in preschool through second grade. High school students attend either Belleville West High School in District 201 or Freeburg High School in District 77.